The Difference Between Vacant and Unoccupied Dwellings

The words “vacant” and “unoccupied” are often used synonymously, but when it comes to insurance coverage, they do not mean the same thing. So what’s the difference between the two?

A property is considered “vacant” when there is no personal property within the home, such as furniture or kitchenware – items that would be necessary for someone to stay in the home. A property is considered “unoccupied” when the home is furnished, but there is no one currently staying there.

When looking for the proper insurance coverage for your property, knowing the difference between vacant and unoccupied is important! You need to be able to accurately describe your property to ensure that you are adequately covered by your insurance policy. Vacant homes are often harder to insure than homes that are simply unoccupied. Fortunately, we provide coverage for vacant dwellings that offers solid protection for your property!